Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

08.25.2013

Happy Sunday!

Another week is ending and a new one is beginning. It doesn't seem like this week was very exciting, at least when it comes to happenings, not much actually happened this week, but I have been doing lots of thinking. Thinking isn't very exciting to write about when thoughts aren't completely formed yet.

What is exciting to write about now is books. Ten days ago I decided it was time to finish some of the books I have started and not finished. Last night I finished reading The Girl Who Played with Fire (the sequel to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). For the last year and half, well, maybe even two years, I have been reading this book during car trips. Due to the intense content matter I only liked reading it when I had long periods of times to sit down with it, which is why car trips were great. My trip to Atlanta last month allowed me to read a big chunk of it so I decided I just needed to get it over with. Eventually I want to read the last book in the series, but it will likely be another year before I pick that one up.

An hour ago I finished another book, Looking Backward: 2000-1887 by Edward Bellamy. I'm not quite sure when I first began this book. To be honest, I may have read the first few chapters in 2007. It was one of the books I purchased my sophomore year for the Utopian Lit class I took. Out of the nine books on the original reading list, we ended up deciding to read only five of them for the class. I promised myself that I would eventually read all nine, and I am now down to one book. Here is the list of books I bought for the class:

  • Read for class
    • Utopia by Thomas Moore (obviously)
    • 1984 by George Orwell
    • Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
    • The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin
    • Mrs. Frisby and Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien
  • Read in the years after class and graduation
    • Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (I actually read this book during finals week the semester of the class)
    • Looking Backward: 2000-1887 by Edward Bellamy (as I mentioned above, I just finished this book today, but I believe I read the bulk of it in 2007 and 2008)
    • We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (I read a few chapters in 2007 I'm sure, but I didn't read it all the way through until last summer)
  • Have yet to finish reading
    • A Modern Utopia by H.G. Wells
Apparently I prefer reading Dystopian stories over Utopias. The two books it has taken me the longest to finish are utopian, and instead of finish those I have read other books dealing with dystopian themes, including a compilation of dystopian short stories called Brave New Worlds.

So my goal for this week is to finish A Modern Utopia. Then I will think of a paper topic.