Saturday, August 17, 2013
Thoughts on Paint and Yarn
Today was the type of day that makes me very glad that I've moved to South Bend/Mishawaka.
I got up at a nice hour, brewed some coffee and made some tasty toast with cheese and salsa. Mary and Martin moved into their awesome new house today. While others went to the apartment to load the couches, I hung around the house in hopes that the Comcast guy would decide to come set up the Internet. He did not come, which was unfortunate. But Internet or not, Mary and Martin have a house! And they live right by Bethel, and therefore, that much closer to me. I'm very happy for them.
After the things had been moved I went with Shell and Nat to ArtBeat. For a few hours we walked around, checked out the different booths and listened to music. It was a beautiful day to be outside, not too hot and just enough breeze. We also got to paint! Wine & Canvas had a presentation every hour that gave you step-by-step instructions to create a basic painting. Our house now has three sail boat paintings. Shell's and Nat's are better than mine for sure, but, for doing little painting in my life, I was still pleased. I enjoy the therapeutic feeling I get from painting, but it's not a medium I've ever wished to explore and perfect. Both of my sisters have worked more on their painting and drawing skills, and I do envy their talents. I suppose, I'm just more crafty. I far prefer "fiber arts" and making blankets. Yarn is my favorite medium.
As I write this I look at my room and I am very please with the art that graces the walls: a huge painting by Shell, an awesome pencil drawing of an eagle from my sister Amber, a photo print from Kaylie (from freshman year when Bethel still had an actual blackroom for its film photography class) and a lovely painting done by my mother. I may not have skills with pens and brushes, but I am so glad that I am surrounded by so many people that do.
The rest of my evening was just relaxing. I spent some time beginning to look through the utopian/dystopian novels I own, since I'm trying to form a good idea for a paper. There's one book that has seems promising, but I'm far from a paper outline at this point. Shell and I did make a quick trip to visit the Schmidt's. As Carol's official "purse consultant" I have good excuses to visit her on a whim. I love being so close to these people.
While days like today could happen in Michigan City, they are far less frequent. And now with both sisters married and Liz (my honorary sister) out of the country for months and months, I am glad I have made the leap and moved back. Yes, I am driving more. . .much more, but it is definitely worth it. And it's good to be in an area and around people who will feed both my intellectual and artistic sides.
Thank you, Liz, for making write all this out. It's good to sit down and reflect instead of relying on 140 characters. I miss you! Too bad all the time zones are against us so we can't chat more.

