Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

An Experiement

I like Twitter. I like being able to express my life experiences as they're happening. I like the instant responses I get when I tweet something exciting, or share a picture through Instagram.

However, a party of me very much dislikes Twitter. I don't like the false feeling it gives me that I'm documenting my life. Yes, I'm doing an excellent job recording my drinking habit. (Yes, I have very severe coffee and tea habits.) I also have done a fine job informing everyone things of the TV shows and movies I'm watching and expressing my views on the weather. But is this really how I want my life to be remembered, the memories I want to look back on? In five years will I want to look back and remember that two dollar mocha I got at Starbucks? Will I even care about that next week? Honestly, probably not. I will want to remember things like: adjusting to life in Mishawaka, living with my good friends, commuting to work, being involved in a brand new church, and so forth.

Twitter has many great uses, but it seems to me that over the last three years I have stopped actually writing about my ideas, about my thoughts, about my life.

So, here's my experiment: for the next month Twitter will only be used for sharing Instagram pictures, sharing news articles and responding to other people's tweets. I will not Tweet about the menial things in my life, unless there's an awesome Instagram worthy picture to go with it. Instead of Tweets I will write on here, with a substantial post required at least once a week.

Here was my Instagram from today. See, my drinking problem is well recorded.


And I do realize, this post does little to actually chronicle my life, but it does express some feelings and thoughts beyond 140 characters. I have to start somewhere.